Taking a Blackboard Test on your own PC using the Respondus Secure Browser
Your module leader has agreed to let you take your test on your own PC rather than insisting that you come into the University. In order to allow use to facilitate this you will need to download and install a piece of software called Respondus. This is a browser just like Google Chrome or Internet Explorer but is designed specially for undertaking tests. It does not interfere with any settings on your PC.
To Download and Install
- Go to http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=613439354
- Watch the video that tells you about Respondus Secure Browser. Please ignore the part about using a webcam. We do not use that option
- Read the “Respondus Inc License Agreement “ by clicking on the said link
- When Ready Click on the “Install Now” button. This will download the necessary software.
- If it does not start the process automatically, locate the downloaded software and double click to start the install.
- Follow the on screen instructions
- Once installed, There will be a new icon on your desktop. Double Click this.
- The application will open and you will be presented with a drop down box. From this select Course Resources.
- This will take you to the Course Resources login screen. Log into Course Resources and navigate to the module for this exam.
- Click on Assessments link.
- Locate the name of exam. Read any instructions that are provided under its title.
- When you are ready click on the link to the exam
- Before clicking on the begin button, read any further instructions. When you are ready click on the begin button. Once you press this the timer will start
- Your answers are automatically saved. You do not need to do this manually.
- DO NOT press the “Save and Submit” button which will appear on the very last question or at the bottom of the screen until you are happy that you have finished and checked over your exam. Once this has been pressed you cannot get back into your exam.
- When you have finished the exam remember to click “Save and submit” before leaving.
Points to note
- If the test is configured to display the questions one at a time then the “previous” and “next” buttons at the bottom of the screen allow you to move through the questions in sequence. These are displayed as “<” and “>”. Do not get confused with the arrows ( “<<” and “>>” ) as these will take you to the first or last questions.
- The “Question Completion Status” near the top of the screen opens a checklist of all questions allowing you to move to any of the questions and also shows which questions are incomplete. Very useful for returning to skipped questions at the end
- For some questions you may need to scroll to see the entire question
- If the timer is set the system will warn you 1 minute before your time is up
- If you try to submit the test with some questions unanswered the system will warn you. If you then click OK it will submit it with questions unanswered.