What is Socrative?
Socrative is a free student response system which allows to engage students by posing a number of different types of questions within the classroom. Students can then respond to these questions using a laptop, tablet or smartphone. The results can then be displayed live on screen so answers can be discussed within the session. This tool enables you to not only formatively assess students learning in real-time and clarify key learning points but also to potentially gather feedback from students about the topics they are covering. In addition Socrative enables you to run competitions within class as well as look at detailed reports of the responses you receive.
Why would I use Socrative with my students?
- To formatively assess student understanding of key learning points within a face-to-face teaching session.
- To gather feedback from students using short answer questions about the session you have just run.
- Engage large groups of students by encouraging their competitive nature using short quizzes where they can compete against each other.
- Examine the reports Socrative produces to see whether students are struggling to understand a particular concept.
- Show students a short video demonstrating key learning points and get them to respond to a series of questions to see whether they understand these.
How do I use Socrative with my students?
- Create a teacher login.
- Create a quiz with a series of questions.
- Before the live session encourage students to download the student app and share the name of the room they need to enter.
- During the session provide students with instructions on how to get into the Socrative room so they can take the quiz.
- Start the quiz from your tutor app and choose how the quiz will be paced and whether answers will be displayed on screen to students.
- View the results as they come in via the teacher app and note down anything you might want to clarify after students have finished the activity.
- Look at the reports after the session to gain an idea of how the group performed.
Socrative is listed on the University Software Whitelist which provides recommendations based on these products meeting internal and external governance requirements such as Data Protection, Freedom of Information and Information Security.
- Socrative is available via a computer or tablet/smartphone.
- Images will not have alternative text added. For this reason you should add a description for any pictures which contain information and are not purely decorative.