Panopto is a system that records audio, video (webcam), PowerPoint and your computer’s screen. You can use this to record a presentation which is sent to Course Resources.
This guide explains the minimum steps necessary to record a Panopto presentation.
- Open the recorder Click on the Panopto icon to load the recorder. For your own non-university computer you must download and install the recorder.
- Click Sign In
- Enter the server name: derby.cloud.panopto.eu Enter UDo username and password. Click Go
- Click the down arrow.
Students must record into [Assignments] folder.
- Find or search for your module. Click the folder to select to record into it
- Choose Audio/Video sources to record
Audio: Mandatory. You must select an audio source from the dropdown.
Video: Optionally, choose your webcam from the Video dropdown.
If you don’t have an audio source, your recording will not work.
- Check the mic is working Speak and watch the volume level (green and yellow dots) rise and fall.
If this does not respond, your voice will not be audible on the recording.
Seek advice if you do not know how to adjust volume levels for microphones on your computer’s system settings.
- To record a PowerPoint presentation Tick the boxes for PowerPoint or Keynote. Once running, these will be recorded automatically.
- Record the screen Choose the screen to record using the Secondary Sources dropdown.
Choose None from the dropdown if you don’t want to record the screen.
- Start the recording by clicking Record All of the sources you selected should now be recording.
- Pause the recording by clicking Pause Restart by clicking Resume.
- Click Stop to finish recording You will then see a recording status screen with upload progress.
- You MUST WAIT for the recording to upload If you shut down your computer before the upload is complete, the recording will not be available on the system. When you see “Uploaded – Processing” you can switch off your computer.
- Your recording will be available in Course Resources in the folder you chose in 3 after it has processed. This can take up to an hour for longer recordings.
Help and Support Contacts:
- ITServiceCentre@derby.ac.uk or Extension 1234
- Contact your module tutor
Remember! You must:
- have an audio source
- wait for the recording to finish uploading
- Visit https://derby.cloud.panopto.eu
- Click Sign in
- Click Sign in Make sure Course Resources is selected in the drop down.
- Authentication If a login box appears, enter your University username and password. Click Logon.
- Click Download Recorder in the top right of the screen.
- Choose your OS X version (10.9 and above, or 10.8)
- Install the program on your machine by running the installer.
- The recorder should now be available on your system in the application finder.